The biggest learning outcome for this midterm review was experimenting with the different types of connections to make our design work. We worked with both 2D and 3D models and found the different outcomes for both and how to even add dimension with the different types of angled cuts on each member. As we spent most of our time in designing the actual pattern of the design, an obstacle we ran into was running out of time to develop how the pattern connects to the ground. Because of this, we tested our pattern in the most simple way by propping the pattern on columns to test deflection. In further development, we plan to work more on how the pattern connects to the ground without columns. Our pattern was liked by reviewers and how the members connect to each other to create the pattern that it does. They also think that it has much potential to develop into something more than just being propped on columns. Some areas on improvement include the scale of the pattern, in it because very large and heavy for the scale we have it at this point. We also need to work on more detailed connection details and how the members connect to one another and how potentially multiple units could be put together. Our group agrees with the feedback given and is helpful in giving more direction in what to focus on for the next review.
Leave a Reply